Saturday, February 17, 2007

Startin’ a Band


Many of my best friends have been musicians. Starting to push through for me. Feel confident singing in front of people, for the first time, ever. Always knew I could at least hold a tune but was nervous. Been through so much in this life that I don’t care anymore. This blogging experience had added to that, too. Always hid my writing. Never thought it was good enough. Maybe it is or maybe it isn’t but I just don’t give a shit anymore. And I get feedback. And some people tell me that they really like my stuff and I play it all cool but it matters to me. And some people really, really hate my stuff and that matters to me almost as much. To Hate is to Care enough to Work Yourself into a Lather. Which means maybe I struck a chord. My the Final, Ugly Truth of the Age piece had to do with it too. Stopped caring if they’d kill me for telling the Truth. The Truth is bigger than me, a force unto itself, second only to the Immortal Change, so by all means spirit me away and do what you will with my corporeal form. I couldn’t give a shit. I did my part.

Speaking of Change: Facing huge opposition from all quarters, George ‘Dubya’ Bush might just be acknowledging that Iraq is turning into this huge, fucked up mess that the rest of the world has been seeing for years. But how does this play with all his insufferable and intractable “we will not back down, we will stay the course, we will not cut and run,” talk? Simple! Just deny you ever said it. Right?

Direct Georgie quote as of a coupla days ago: "Well, hey, listen, we've never been 'stay the course’…”

Wha…? Oh! I guess…you never…said all that stuff. Stuff like “"We will stay the course until the job is done, Steve, and the temptation is to try to get the President or somebody to put a timetable on the definition of getting the job done. We're just going to stay the course."
-George ‘Dubya’ Bush at a press conference, December 2003

But what does this with starting a band, Sensey? Christ, you are a rambler, ain’t you? Starting a band is about Life and Adventure, politics is about Cynicism and Deception. So what do you wanna write about? Right. A band. Yeah. Guess what I mean to say is, this WritingUp thing, this blogging deal lent me the courage to sing to others. Hey, shit, ain’t it the same thing, anyways? For you? Not shooting for Rock Superstar or anything, I just want to be able to play a few tunes in the bars.

Speakin’ of a few tunes…

"And so we've got tough action in Iraq. But we will stay the course,"
George ‘Worst President Ever and Most Dangerous Idiot in History’ Bush, April 5th, 2004

"And my message today to those in Iraq is: We'll stay the course." Apr. 13, 2004

"And that's why we're going to stay the course in Iraq. And that's why when we say something in Iraq, we're going to do it." Apr. 16 2004

Somehow in there, they were never actually about ‘staying the course’. Love to have this all explained to me. I’m a simple man. But fuck all that. Been puttin’ a few tunes together and playin’ em at parties and people are having fun. So fuck it, we're startin’ a band. We develop it. Shootin’ for bar scene alone. Anything comes beyond that is icing on the cake. It’s about realistic, achievable goals at the thirties, tell you that much.

Can’t wait to name the thing. Will keep a list on this page, maybe. And will take suggestions. Check back regularly and often. Get those hits up. Looking to break ten bucks on Adsense.

Many of my best friends are musicians. Always have been. And I think many of them have always thought I might emerge as a front man. It was like I had to get away from them to bring it out of me. But I can do it now. And when I’m ready, I will see who amongst them want to make a run at it. Big dreams, High Hopes in Times of Chaos and Distress. Maybe it’s all sublimation. Maybe that’s what this blogging thing has been too. Some of it, anyways.

"We will stay the course, we will complete the job in Iraq." August 2005

"We will stay the course." August 2006

"Well, hey, listen, we've never been 'stay the course’…'”

So what’s going on here? Based on these latest developments, I think we all have to rule out that Georgie’s simply a little confused. I mean, he is, to be certain, and has been all his life. That much is obvious. But even stupid people know what they believe. Just ask the Radical Religious Right! No, it’s not because he’s stupid (though he is, and this can’t be stressed enough), stupidity on its own doesn't cut it in this case. Ultimately, whoever you are and whatever your political leanings you have to decide something on GWB: he’s EITHER FULL OF SHIT OR INSANE!!! OR BOTH!!! So, three choices there.

I’m sure you know which way I’m leaning.

Rock and Roll, Citizens!

-iSC

NonRandomMP3age: “Love Her Madly,” the Doors.

p.p. Just found the Giants-Bucks game. All is Bliss. Prediction right here and now: the Bears will not get by the Giants in the playoffs. You heard it here first. Mark it and write the motherfucker down.

No comments: