Sunday, December 28, 2008

Android to Ostrich: On the General Ashtraying of the Planet

Sun Mar 30, 2008 at 09:40:22 AM PST

Dear [XXXXXX]

Will blog a response to this eventually (no names, no need for it. I represent the one side of what is becoming one of the dominant issues of our time and you the other), but have one thing I'd like some clarification of. It's certainly not shocking to me to hear someone from the status quo side use a term like 'Great Climate Change Religion' but it is when it comes from an intellectual like yourself and especially from someone with something of a scientific background, who actually knows what a 'theory' is, what 'peer-review' means etc.

To me, (and this may make you laugh, I haven't the slightest clue) but the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is the end-all be-all on it. They are the global consensus of dudes with the white coats and bunsen burners. If such a maassive amalgamation of subject-specific minds from another discipline, say Astronomy, came to me and said I should move because an asteroid is about to hit my house, well, you can bet yer ass I'd be moving. Pack up the kids, the bigscreen, the dog, the wife and what-have-you and I'm outta there. I haven't a doubt in my mind you'd do precisely the same thing and so would each and every sane human being on earth. The guy who didn't would be considered a nutcase and we'd all be saying he'll deserve it when he and his get reduced to molten space slag.

'Scientific American' and 'Science Magazine' both said the facts were in, the debate was over and Human Climate Fuckery is a dire reality. These are publications that I know both you and I have always respected, quoted extensively in our individual scientific endeavors because we knew the articles were backed wherever possible by peer review articles. Now they are what? Partisan rags? How? What on earth for? Is there some kind of conspiracy theory on this? And if so, why on earth do you believe it?

Seems like the other guys, the status quo guys that travel around the world on the oil company's dime quasi-refuting these things are the ones that can't even really nail down what a scientific theory or peer-review paper is. Whole thing reminds me of these Creationist idiots in the final analysis; "Ooooooh, you have a theory. Well, I can have a theory too. Everybody can have a theory on everything and mine is that the world was created by a benevolent, invisible, superhuman master to whom we must all bow and pray to or we will be sent to an eternity of fire and pain."

Hey, believe what you want, just don't try to call it science unless it's jumped the necessary hurdles, right? And there's the difference. Human Climate Fuckery has jumped the necessary hurdles. It's official. The consensus amongst people that know about these things is that this is the Real Deal and the debate is done and it's time to figger out our way outta this. Or to at the very least accept the general ashtraying of the planet and saying you like it that way. I would respect that more than abject, baseless denial and ostrichery.

Seems like the only actual scientists that represent the status quo side are not climatologists but geologists. Why do you think that is? Am I wrong? Gore's got legions of the world's finest climatologists backing what he has to say but who's the big status quo champ on this, what's the name of the Bizarro world Gore? I'd love to check his background out and read what he has to say, if in fact he's an actual climatologist or backed by actual climatologists and not just some fiendish stooge on the oil company's dole. Any leads you can provide me will be ruthlessly tracked down but I doubt you can offer anyone up...? Hey, prove me wrong, you know?

Regardless, I would speak more on this with you, in this laid back fashion that is the email. The tech is perfect for such a thing, given that we're both busy with all manner of things, respond when the spirit strikes you and I'll do the same. And by all means, feel completely free to call me an android so long as I may in turn call you an ostrich, and, as such, I'll just go ahead and offer the following warning about sticking one's head in the sand: it leaves your ass exposed and some day you're just bound to get fucked.

Forever your friend,

-iSC

Poll: Why is Global Warming still denied in spite of all evidence to the contrary?

Fear of Change
8% 2 votes

Fear of Comfort Level Disruption
48% 12 votes

Fear of Imagined Costs, Though New Industry Always Means New Business and New Jobs
16% 4 votes

Big Media has a Very Base and Obvious Interest in Creating Debate Where There is None
28% 7 votes

| 25 votes total

No comments: